To have the right clothing and exercise is the first rule of exercising. Every exercise accessory has its benefit. Good jogging shoes help instability, motion control, better traction on road, etc. A compression T-shirt helps to reduce muscle fatigue, improves muscle oxygenation, prevents straining of muscles, etc. Similarly, a sports bra has its advantages
Top reasons to buy a sports bra
- Good support – Breast muscles are filled with fats and fluids and hence are loose. They do not have bones to give them the rigidity. This makes them bounce while exercising. A sports bra prevents this action.
- Great Comfort – It is annoying when the straps fall out or hooks become loose. These discomforts and embarrassments can be avoided by wearing a sports bra.
- It helps to regulate the temperature of the body. This is because most of them are made of fabrics that absorb sweat. It allows the skin to breathe.
- Work out without a bra or with an ordinary brazier has a high potential to develop risks of back and breast pain. On the other hand, a sports bra supports the breasts from all sides. This way the breast muscles are secure.
When one has understood the importance of a sports bra, the next step is to find out the right one. Here are some of the tips to select the right sports bra.
What are the types of a sports bra?
- Compression bra – It compresses against the breasts to restrict the chest movement
- Encapsulation bra – they do not compress the breasts. They cover them providing good support from all sides. Restriction of their movement is not achieved. The purpose is to provide coverage
- Combination bra – They have the qualities of both compression and encapsulation types.
- Racerback – they clinch in back
- Wider straps – It helps to distribute the weight better. They often come with adjustable straps and padded cups
- Pullover – It is anchor larger chests. They cover the back more than clasping it
- Back clasp – It tightens the band. Read about the detailed guide to learn more about the types.
How to get the right fit sports bra?
One should get a sports bra that fits well in band and cups. In other words, a sports bra should be tighter than a regular bra. However, the tightness should only support the muscles. It should not cause discomfort in breathing. The following tips help to check if the bra is of proper fit
- The band should not move. Check this by raising the hands above head. Go for a smaller band if it crept up the rib cage. Adjust the straps to fix the band on position.
- The breasts should not bulge at the top and by the underarm.
- There should be no wrinkles or gaps in the fabric after wearing them.
- The fabric should not cause chafing around the armholes, straps, clasps, hooks, seams, etc.
How to find the right size?
- Measure the rib cage. Use tape and measure the band just beneath the breast. The tape should snug in such a way that there is enough space for 2 fingers.
- Choose the number nearest to the standard sizes. The standard sizes are 30, 32, 34, 36, 38, 40, 42, and 44
- Now measure the fullest part of the breasts. While measuring fill the chest with air by inhaling deeply. This is called bust measurement.
- Subtract the rib cage measurement from the bust measurement. The difference is the size. The differences are generally between 3 and 9. The sizes are named in the market as follows
- 3 – AA
- 4 – A
- 5 – B
- 6 – C
- 7 – D
- 8 – DD
- 9 – E
- The fitting of the cup is highly important. The purpose of the sports bra is fulfilled only at its fitting. Read about the detailed guide.
The 3 gauges
- Straps – Straps should not be too tight. They should not provide the majority of support. The majority of the support should be provided by the band and the cups. Select straps with minimal stretches
- Band – The band should fit flat against the rib cage. It should be tighter than an ordinary bra. The elasticity of the bra should be wide.
- Cups – they should cover the breasts completely. The muscles should not pour out at the top. The fabric should be free of wrinkles
What are the key features?
- The fabric should be made of moisture-holding material
- The fabric should dry fast like polyester
- For women belonging to bigger sizes, it should have both strap and band adjustments
- The size of the breasts changes throughout the month. This is because of the changes in the body due to menstrual cycles. Therefore, the bra should provide a seam line to make little adjustments.
Who should wear a sports bra?
Every woman who is exercising and is involved in sporting activities should wear a sports bra. Some are on the wrong assumption that they are only for women in bigger sizes. The bouncing of breast muscles happens for every woman. No matter what size she is.
Does sports bra work on drooping breasts as well?
Yes. Breast muscles of women are made of ‘Cooper ligaments.’ When these ligaments stretch or tear, the breasts begin to droop or sag. When do Cooper ligaments tear or stretch?
- Age factor
- Increase in weight
- Low levels of estrogen, collagen, and elastin
- Multiple pregnancies
- Hormonal changes
The sports bra holds the loose muscles. This enhances the comfort of exercising and sporting.
How long does a sports bra last?
A good sports bra lasts around 50 to 60 washes. Wash it in cold water to increase its life. Do not tumble dry. This is because of heat accelerates elastic degradation.