Video games have been around in the market for more than a century now. In this long stretch of time, it has become an integral part of the popular worldwide gaming culture and an undeniable source of entertainment as well as addiction to almost all the age groups. With the lightning speed of growth in visual media technology especially since the early 70’s, video games have evolved steadily through the years and are continuing to do so with each passing day.
What is Video Game?
A video game is basically an electronic game that uses any sort of electronic medium. The electronic systems are termed as platforms. The main components are a user interface and a display device such as a computer, mobile phone screen, TV screen etc. Over the years with rapid technological advances, video game platforms have changed from simple arcades to computers and now games are being developed especially for mobile phones, to be precise smartphones. In this avant-garde era of smartphones, mobile phone-based video games have gained immense popularity. Hundreds of companies and developers from all over the globe are currently dedicated to keeping up with this ever-growing demand. The mobile-based video games have etched its own place in the evolution of video games and can easily be considered as an indispensable and integral part of it. Mobile-based video games can have different genres like action, action-adventure, adventure, sports, simulation, and strategy.
Why Clash of Clans
One of the most notable mobile-based video game that took the gaming community by storm is Clash of Clans, which was developed by a Finnish game development company Supercell and was released in the year 2012. The game was released for both Android and iOS platforms. It gained huge popularity as soon as it was released and went on to become the highest grossing application in the year of its release. Clash of Clans is basically a multiplayer, strategy-based video game and the gameplay is set in an imaginary fantasy world. In the game, the player is in charge of a village and plays the role of the chief of the village. The primary task assigned to the player is, building the village from the scratch and helping it prosper and bringing about development by using several resources and defending it from enemy attacks by building defenses. The main resources are gold, elixir and dark elixir. These resources can be replenished in two ways, either by collecting them from the gold mines and elixir collectors situated in the village or by attacking and looting other villages. In the village, the most important building is the town hall, by upgrading the town hall using suitable resources a player advances in the game. Currently available town hall levels are from one to twelve. Other buildings can be categorized as:
- Resource (gold storage, elixir storage, dark elixir storage).
- Walls, that help in to strengthen the defense of the village.
- Barracks, the troops used in battle or raiding are trained in these buildings.
- Spell factory.
- Base defenses (archer tower, cannon, mortar, xbow, hidden tesla, bombs, spring traps), which are dedicated to defending the village from enemy attacks.
- Clan castle.
Use of Resources
An elixir in this game can be used in the following ways:
- Training of new troops (archers, barbarians, giants, wizards, dragons, baby dragons, p.e.k.k.a etc.) for attacking other villages.
- Research work in the laboratory to upgrade the troops.
- Reloading of x-bows that are important for the village’s defense.
- To build and upgrade specific building settings.
- For brewing certain spells (lightning spell, haste spell, rage spell etc.), that can be used to attack other villages.
Similarly, gold in this game can be used in the following ways:
- Building and upgrading defenses.
- Upgrading the town hall, which enables the players to unlock new buildings and defenses to strengthen their bases.
A player can access dark elixir at town hall level seven. Dark Elixir is used to train dark troops (golems, hog riders, minions, bowlers etc.), brew dark spells and unlock and upgrade heroes (barbarian king, archer queen etc.). The dark elixir is collected using the dark elixir drill.
A player can choose to join a clan and there they can choose to participate in the clan war, which a battle event takes place between any two clans. The clan leader or co-leader can start the clan war against any other clan, the opponent clan is chosen randomly by the Clash of Clan server. On the “preparation day,” the participants from both the clans strategies and modifies their external defense mechanisms as a prelude to the “war day”, where each participant is given two chances to attack any two of the opponent clan bases. At the end of the war based on the total number of stars won by a clan, a winner is determined and loot is credited to the clan castles of the participants of the victorious clan. In 2017, another base called the builder base was introduced to improvise the gaming experience, giving a player the opportunity of handling and managing two villages simultaneously.
- The amount of resources and number of gems available to a player that can be used to perform the tasks within the game is limited by Supercell, in order to optimize the gaming experience. However, there are ways through which these limitations can be overcome by using certain programs available. This way resources and gems that has a substantial collection time can be replenished in no time whatsoever, which enables a player to proceed with the game very fast, usually which takes a substantial amount of time. Although some might argue that this may take away from the actual gaming experience and anticipation factor.
There are many online sites available that enable a player to use the particular program and procedure in order to obtain unlimited resources and gems by using their Clash of Clans username. However, there are a very few actual sites that offer actual working programs for this purpose, as most of the websites are malicious and are designed to corrupt and crash the computers or the mobile platform used to access these sites by auto-downloading malware. The game rightfully becomes an addiction after a certain point in time because of its extremely captivating sequences and gaming inputs.